Sunday, January 20, 2013

Project Basement

As some of you may already know when we bought out house there were two bedrooms (tiny bedrooms, in fact the closets were so narrow a regular sized hanger couldn't fit in it) and a nice sized bathroom. Why were they so tiny you might be thinking... well the previous owners had 5 kids and so they threw up some walls to give them some more bedroom space...we will not be having that same issue, so David and I have always thought that we wanted to "tear down this wall" and that wall for that matter and make a family room (which is in the original plan for the house). That way we can have toys out and about and they aren't right when guests walk in (our front room was the only gathering space, and it's literally right at the entrance of our home). I'll show you a couple pics:


From this angle, I'm not sure that you can adequately see how small these rooms are (the one with the hole in the closet was the smallest and that hole is how David started tearing down the walls...with a swift kick through the wall!), Amy can vouch for how small they are as she lived in the bigger of the two before she got married (too bad for you we didn't do any of this sooner!) Now I'm going to be completely honest with you, I didn't participate very much in the demo, that David ran with, with great zeal might I add... now it took a little longer for the clean up! :)
 
One wall down...

There we go, any takers want to guess how long this mess sat there? A little over a month! Yep, as it turns out, it is much funner to destroy things than it is to clean up after...who'd of thought? Well, we finally decided that it was time to clean up our hot mess, and the Saturday of my birthday (last Saturday) we bit the bullet and put our noses to the grind. This is where David let me play a role :) Ha ha, he'll gladly share that I complained a whole lot though, I just am not used to manual labor, and that stuff is HEAVY to haul load after load upstairs and throw in the back of the truck! BUT, we did it in about 4 hours including taking it all to the dump! And voi la (I don't really know how to spell in French, but you get the idea):


 
We are really excited about this space now! You can see by the marks in the carpet (or non-carpet) how small the "bedrooms" really were... We'll see how long it will take us to get it completely refinished, but we are happy with it for now, and little by little we'll get this space just right!




4 comments:

  1. Nice work! I'm excited to see it all finished...you are really good at decorating, Tig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cec, my decorating skills are as follows: less is more :)

      Delete
  2. My bedroom is gone! But now that it's bigger there is more room for me and Stephen to move back in:) yes!!

    ReplyDelete